Friday, September 3, 2010

I'm bringing Grandma back!



That's me, GRANDMA!  Grandma is now an inside joke to Mark and I, but I will now share it as it has humor and also, old Japanese men seem to be bold as brass at times.
Mark's coworker, Yama-San, was introduced to me around week 2 or 3 of me being on "The Rock". (as my dad and other ol' vets seem to call it)  Mr. Yama, is an older Japanese man that has been working with the military for awhile now and is close to retiring.  After meeting me, Yama-San comes up to Mark at a later time during the week/month and tells him, "Your wife is very granuma, granduma (we are unsure of the actually Japanese word/slang)".  Mark of course hears what I heard when Mark was telling me the story, I LOOK VERY GRANDMA!?!?!  WHAT!?!?  Come on, I am starting to get my "crow's feet" but Grandma...really?  Why would another man say this about a man's wife!?  Mark was mistaken and after looking at Yama-San quizzically, Yama-San explained, "you know, granduma," using his hands to make a large coke bottle, "sexy."  So after I got a chuckle and a sigh of relief, I thought out loud of course, "wow, Yama-San was comfortable enough with Mark to tell him I was sexy?"  Which shows to me, older people will say what they want in any culture, especially in Japan, they have earned that right.  Though as the Western World rubs off on Far East culture, the respect levels are changing so I've read.  It also shows me, some people will say anything, I can't imagine it ever being okay in a work place for a man to call another man's wife, sexy, especially in the military, but this is Japan and Yama-San seems to be the head rooster as far as the Japanese civilians go.


Mark and I walking on the sea wall the day before Typhoon Kompasu

Typhoon Kompasu, I have been confused by you and all that you do, did.  I will clear this up for all who don't know, as I was unsure until Mark schooled me.  Yes, let me say it now, I got schooled.  I knew this was true, but I went back on what I was telling people because I hate to misinform.  Typhoons are hurricanes that start in the area of the world we are in.  They have different names only because of their region.  So my little friend, Kompasu was in fact a hurricane because typhoons and hurricanes are the same thing.  Okay, Typhoon Kompasu passed very quickly for all the hoop-la it caused, but as I found out, it only causes hoop-la for Americans.  The Japanese will be mindful of the storms, but are used to Americans thinking it's going to be worse than it actually is or, as Mark likes to do,...exaggerate.  They also have the mentally of, whatever will be will be, and that is the way, so now we move on, changed, but move on.  Kompasu was also our 1st typhoon, so of course we made sure we were prepared, unsure of what this weather would bring.  Typhoons and tropical storms are common for this time of years, our season running from August to October.  Right after Kompasu hit on Tuesday, tropical storm 10 began to head our way and it seems we will be passed but will still receive strong winds and rain this weekend.  Just in time for the largest Eisa dance performance of the year for Okinawa, that happens to be accompanied by a beer fest.  So all types are brought together in one place.  Now, every base event has been cancelled but as the Okinawans have been getting ready for this weekend long event, I am doubting much will stop their plans to party this weekend and luckily it will not be near as much rain or as strong as Kompasu, this weekend.  Kompasu passed by us making us wonder, okay, what was all the fuss, it rained, and it was like a normal windy day in Cheyenne, Wyoming.  The fuss was that once Kompasu actually came to the island, they did clock wind gusts at over 105 mph.  Once it gets to that point they order all military to stay indoors.  Kompasu, traveling north of our city, Chatan, left all the miltary facilities alone except the ultimate water playground for military, Okuma Beach.  **Side Story on Okuma*  Okuma is my favorite beach, Mark took me there to stay the night the 1st week I arrived on Oki.  You can jet ski, mini golf, camp, boat, eat, and they have a STARBUCKS!!! Okuma is a 1 1/2- 2 hour drive north from Chatan-Cho**  Okuma was hit hard, destroying the beach area as well as piling the road with tree clutter.  They sent 200 soldiers up to the northern part of the island to help reconstruct and clean up Okuma.  Mark went in to work early to help print the maps needed for this job.  It is expected to take a week or so to clean up Okuma, I am unsure when the beach will be back open to us.
 

I am finally getting ready to start school for my bachelors in October.  Mark has already started and I am not too far behind him.  Depending on how things go, I may be able to finish before we leave Okinawa, though Mark is extending, so I hope I have more time!  We love Oki and the opportunities it and God has brought our family, we pray for more.  Mark's major is Computer Studies and I am choosing Asian Studies.

Now it's time to enjoy our very rainy, 3 day weekend!  Sayonara from the Scott's!!

In other non Japanese related Scott family news:
THE BENZ, may she r.i.p.
The Back Story: For all that don't know, in 2007, Mark bought me a 2000 C230 Kompressor Mercedes Benz for a Valentine's Day gift.  I know he spoils me, too much, I admit, but he is a giver.  I am trying to changer my taker ways.
Now as many do know, on  January 8, 2010, Mark and I were in a car accident, in which I was driving Mark to work.  On that sunny, yet cold, day, where the roads were actually clear from snow and ice in Cheyenne, a man pulled in front of us, not wanting to wait for another light and though I slammed on the breaks, as Mark held me back from the air bags that did not deploy, but should have, we collided with the man.  The force then pushed us right, causing me to bump another car on the street that was full of people waiting to turn left on to the road we were on.  Our car, the "Mers" as Mark called it, and my "baby" was totaled and the man that caused the wreck received a ticket.  This started a LONG chain of hurry up and wait.  We found out yesterday, that as of August 24th, our case that had to go to an arbitration forum was found 100% in our favor and that the clams that I didn't do everything I could have to stop the accident was false.  Mark and I are so glad it's finally over!  The man's insurance company argued that we could have done a better job to stop the collision and that we were 20% at fault.  The forum agreed with USAA that we were not at fault and that the man that drove in front of us was.  So the Mercedes is gone, justice was served, and USAA has taken care of us again.

I know I am dramatic and long winded, but you love me right? ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment